We at Better Ealing Streets believe and campaign for continually safer streets, the end of the dominance of the motor vehicle and for the end of so many short journeys made by car in Ealing.
We strongly believe that LTNs work, achieving many of their objectives and their removal is wrong.
If you do the wrong thing and choose to remove more, it will fly in the face of your own limited published empirical evidence and data that the LTNs work:
- They reduce car journeys
- They increase walking, cycling and scooting
- They reduce congestion on many other roads
- They do not increase bus journey times
- They do not increase pollution
If you do the wrong thing, it will fly in the face of your own climate change policies
- Glossy adverts and videos promoting climate change emergency will be seen for what they are, just hollow green washing backed by no material action
- The existent Climate Change Emergency is not waiting for the next election!
If you do the wrong thing, it flies in the face of your own health policies
- LTNs enable active travel with all the associated physical and mental benefits
- Fewer car journeys reduces harmful pollution and road danger
If you do the wrong thing, it flies in the face of your policies on safer streets
- LTNs provide 54 km of safe active travel routes
- LTNs prohibit dangerous rat running
- LTNs enable and encourage kids and their parents to safely walk and cycle to school
If you do the wrong thing, it flies in the face of the Equalities Act
- You have not done an equalities assessment on the LTNs’ removal
- How can the removal of the filter at Culmington Road not have a large negative impact on the daily safety of thousands of children and their family members?
- How can the removal of 54 km of active travel routes not have a negative impact on the most vulnerable members of society?
If you do the wrong thing, you are putting at severe risk, £48m of active travel funding over five years.
- The government and TFL have said they will not provide future funding to councils who have unreasonably removed active travel infrastructure
If you do the wrong thing, based upon the disgraced consultation process, which your own independent report criticises, how can the decision be considered logical or legally robust?
- In the Interim Report the council promised proper professional demographically representative consultation process but went back on its promise.
- The government requires 12 months of verifiable published data upon which such a decision is to be made.
Where is this 12 months of verifiable published data upon which you are making this decision?
If you do the wrong thing, what is next as far as active travel in Ealing?
- The removal of 54 km of active travel schemes and replacement with 1.6 km of cycle way is not the way forward
- The removal of 54 km of active travel schemes and the introduction of school streets is not to be an acceptable political fig leaf
- And how are you going to fund it?
If you do the wrong thing, how can Ealing Labour be considered to be a progressive party looking after the interests of the most vulnerable members of society – those children and families that do not own cars for example
- If Labour is not a progressive party it has no fundamental values
If you do the wrong thing, and listen to your truth twisted by knaves and liars your decision will not be forgotten by the electorate, government, TFL or by history
- It will be seen as cowardly
- It will be seen as retrograde
- All polling shows that active travel measures are popular
Those opposing LTNs have provided no constructive alternative to them – they are only campaigning for the right to drive anywhere on short journeys for their own perceived convenience with no consideration for others around them.
If you do the wrong thing, and there is an incident that would have been prevented by the LTNs, how will you deal with your consciences?
If you do the wrong thing, it will be heart-breaking to the members of Better Ealing Streets and the many of the most venerable members of society who have now witnessed what benefits that LTNs bring and for which there is frankly little or no alternative.
We at Better Ealing Streets urge our council:
- To force your collective hearts and nerves and sinews to serve your turn long after your opponents are gone, to be brave, do the right thing and so hold on when there is nothing in you except the will which says to them “Hold On”
- Make the decision to retain the LTNs for the entire length of the temporary traffic orders
- Collect and publish the data relating to pollution, bus travel times, scoot data into the future including the end of furlough.
This is including giving the necessary instructions, manpower and financial resources to do so
- Change the whole communications of the council to be about reducing car journeys and what we all need to do to tackle climate change
- Market and professionally engage with the public, selling the undoubted virtues of the LTNs and that we as a society have to do more than this to reduce car usage not less
DO THE RIGHT THING
DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU BELIEVE IN
BE PRINCIPLED POLITICIANS
MAKE THE DECISION TO RETAIN THE LTNs
Better Ealing Streets